Recently I was speaking with a very dear friend. I really get upset with the way her family treats her. It truly is a good thing that she and I are not a couple because her mother REALLY would not like me at this point.
I know in a perfect world we all would be accepted by are families and loved unconditionally. I also know that families are not always what we would wish for. My family was not always open and accepting of me. I had to go with some drastic steps to show them that this is who I am and they either accept that or I would not be a part of their lives. I actually cut my family almost completely out of my life to drive this point home. It took my mother 4 years to realize that I didn't choose my sexuality and that it was more important to accept me that to live without me.
I don't know how many times my friend has called me upset because of her mother. Her mother feels it necessary to pass on to her every negative thing someone says about her. It all seems to revolve around her being gay. Her mother beats her down so much, it really fucking pisses me off. It is very hard for me to not let her mother know what I think. I know that if we were together as a couple, I would not let her be treated that way.
I have told my friend that she needs to stand up for herself. I am probably more forceful than I should be. It is my opinion that she push the fact with her mother that she either accept her and love her for the person she is or she steps away. I know how hard something like this is but her mother needs to know that she can't edit out the parts of her life that she doesn't like.
My friend is one of the most generous people I know. She has always been there for me and she is still part of my family. I am glad that she knows that I am here for her.
So true!!!!From all angles.
ReplyDeleteMany people think if you don't force the issue with them, you are not serious. Unfortunate but true. At that point all you have left is a full frontal assault to let them know you are serious. It is your life, nothing they did got you to this point so lose the guilt. What they can do is help you from this point forward! Good luck!!!!