Sunday, February 9, 2014

Interesting Day

My first full weekend off in some time and on neither day did I get to just sleep in and relax.  Yesterday I had to be up early because my girlfriend and I were going to Columbus for her electrolysis appointment.  

Today I had to be up early because my ex and her husband were renewing their vows.  Now it's only been 3 years since they were married but this is the first time they were married in a church.  I ended up going by myself.  At first my girlfriend was going to go but I told her if she didn't want to go it was not necessary.  She is not a church person at all and I don't think she really understands faith.  Then my sister wasn't able to go because she was called in to work.  So it ended up just me, myself and I.  

I felt a little bad, I got to the church a little early and interrupted Sunday School.  I actually knew about half of the people that were there at that moment.  So I went in and listened to the lesson and was welcomed to the church.  Before church started my ex mother-in-law came back and gave me a hug and told me how happy she was to see me.  My ex's husband came back and shook my hand and told me that he was happy I could make it and that it really meant a lot to my ex that I was there.  How could I not?  I have known her for over 30 years and we spent over 20 years as a couple.  

This is something that I don't understand.  Everyone seems to have a negative reaction to my ex.  I could understand if she was a bitch and treated people like shit.  There are negative comments that get made and sometimes it feels like they try to make me feel I'm doing something wrong by demanding that they treat her with respect and be civil when she is around.  I could agree that this is unreasonable if it weren't for the fact that I demand the same thing from her.  She does not comment on the people I date unless I ask her something.  I get tired of listening to the animosity from the women I date towards her.  I guess the concept that saying something bad about someone I care about hurts me is beyond their understanding.  

So back to my day......

I'm sitting and listening to the sermon and joining in when they sing until my throat started hurting too much.  (That is the only change from the hormones that I hate)  Right after the sermon the proceeded with the ceremony.  I was good to see her happy.  She deserves it.  We stopped making each other happy a very long time ago.  I know she wants the same thing for me.  We have talked about that on many occasions.  We are back to the friendship that meant so much to us so many years ago.  The time before we were together as a couple.  

After the ceremony there was a woman sitting in the pew behind me that came up and asked me a question I would never have expected.  She wanted to know if I had any Cherokee in me.  I answered that yes I did on my mother's side of the family.  She proceeds to tell me that she knew that and proceeds to engage me in conversation about some history of the Cherokee nation that I was not aware of.  She herself had a vast mixing of different tribes along with African-American.  Although it was funny to hear someone say black instead of African-American.  She then asked me if I ever saw things.  Since it was obvious that I knew what she meant that my answer would be yes.  It does not happen to me as much as when I was younger but it does come in spells where I "see" a lot of things.  Most people would think me crazy if I told them.  As we are talking about visions she then tells me that her gift is seeing things how they are supposed to be at which point she just cocks her head to one side and looks at me and smiles.  Then she says that she doesn't think she should say anymore.  

We then proceeded downstairs the the fellowship meal.  I helped them get a few things ready and told my ex that I was very happy for her.  After we go through and get out meals I sit down across from my ex mother-in-law and we have a nice visit.  We sit and talked for awhile until I decided that I needed to head home.  

Later after I got back home I got a text from my ex thanking me again for coming and told me I should've brought home some leftovers.  I told her I wouldn't have missed it for anything.  So when she comes back to the office next week she is bringing me a care package.  

It just seemed like an interesting day to me.

1 comment:

  1. Did your friend with the Native American background happen to mention anything about the Two or Dual Gender Spirit beliefs which were so prevalent in the ancient tribal beliefs?
    Also, it's a good thing your girlfriend didn't go...could have been a lightning strike :)

    ReplyDelete