Monday, October 28, 2013

Questioning

I know my entries are far between and I appreciate all of you that continue to read them.

I hear this phrase "You're a good man."  What exactly does that mean?  Sometimes I think I know and sometimes I feel like I have no clue.  Does it mean you are a hard worker, or is it a moral thing, are you trustworthy and honest?  Is it something you are taught, do you learn it by watching men or is it something you are just born with?  I wish I knew.

I hate it when I start one of these and then just can't put words and thoughts together.

How do you define what "a good man is?"

1 comment:

  1. As a keen observer (for survival purposes) of how to behave in a manly way, I can now assure you that most of the qualities that others value in a 'good man' are the ones they value in a good person. So, hard worker, trustworthy, honest, yes yes and yes.
    I say most, because the rest is culturally determined.

    Some would say that a good man never complains. Some say a good man is not quick to get angry. Generally, it seems to me, the best people save their complaining and displays of anger for times when it can do make a difference.

    Around where I live, good men are generally working hard outdoors with the men, and women are doing it indoors, with the women. Having said that, nobody has suggested I am a 'bad man' because I am handy in the kitchen. Quite the opposite.

    I suggest you should be yourself. Care about the people who seem worth caring about. Don't worry too much about what others think.

    ReplyDelete